4wd Pics/Vids.

4x4 & Offroad vehicular manslaughter, Drift, Drag, Aeroplanes, Motorbikes and anything of the like!

Moderator: The Hurricane

atari4x4
Übermensch

Postby atari4x4 » 14 Jan 2013, 13:09

will try have a suss, don't really know how to use failbook. i've got it but it just annoys the hell out of me.
Legend:
:thefinger: The preceding sentence has been said in jest.
8-) It sounds funny and/or choice in my head, which is all that matters.
:lol: I'm not really laughing, I'm just trying to fit in.
SUPERCUNT
Danger Zone

Postby SUPERCUNT » 15 Jan 2013, 18:40

hows offroading with the trailer atari? ive been thinking about building one for a bit of extra challenge locally and to take camping etc later down the track. was just thinkin cheap box trailer. redo the suspension and tow hitch, 31' muddies (i have a pair here) and eventually a camper canopy deally like you have
atari4x4
Übermensch

Postby atari4x4 » 15 Jan 2013, 19:08

it's awesome fun, adds another dimension to wheeling as you've got to think about it that little bit more.

mine was just a box trailer that i gave a birthday. it's a 5x3.5". the roof top tents when packed up are 5x4" & can be had off ebay for around $600-700.

takes me about 5 minutes to set up & it's ready to sleep in, i've got a heap of pics of the build up if your interested?
Legend:
StevenOnevia
Jew
Jew
Vehicle: Sweedish jet

Postby StevenOnevia » 15 Jan 2013, 19:20

SUPERCUNT
Danger Zone

Postby SUPERCUNT » 15 Jan 2013, 20:43

atari4x4 wrote:it's awesome fun, adds another dimension to wheeling as you've got to think about it that little bit more.

mine was just a box trailer that i gave a birthday. it's a 5x3.5". the roof top tents when packed up are 5x4" & can be had off ebay for around $600-700.

takes me about 5 minutes to set up & it's ready to sleep in, i've got a heap of pics of the build up if your interested?

pics would be great if you have time.

i was thinkin of getting a 6x4 to double as a rubbish/general use trailer and beefing it up. adding a removable frame for the top, water tank etc. not sure if id just go bigger springs and tyres/fenders or go for a coil/independant setup if i go mental
atari4x4
Übermensch

Postby atari4x4 » 15 Jan 2013, 22:29

i'll smash something together... i'm bit of a photo whore so there are heaps of pics.

what i've found that the trailer suspension doesn't do a great deal offroad as the thing pivots off the hitch, it's the bumps & corrugations where it gets a bit of a work out. mines just running slipper springs, having a proper eye to eye leaf would be ideal & independent would be sweet but a heap of work to set up. reckon you'd be better off starting from scratch & build the whole lot rather than trying to add independent suss to an existing trailer.
Legend:
SUPERCUNT
Danger Zone

Postby SUPERCUNT » 16 Jan 2013, 06:29

Biggest drama starting from scratch is getting it regoed at the end. But I will look into it I think as I spoke to the wife and she's keen 4 me to build a camper instead of another track car as the kids love going off road.
atari4x4
Übermensch

Postby atari4x4 » 16 Jan 2013, 11:11

not sure if it's possible over there with the RWC crap you guys have to deal with, but you could always buy a junker trailer & do the old plate swap on it.

Here's what I did to the trailer, from the ad

cleaning it up, rust treated & stone guarded underneat

spring over axle for clearance & 600kg springs instead of the 1000kgs that were in it.

teflon wear pads for the slipper spings

rewired it & ran the cable inside bong tubing for extra protection

trimmed the wings down, less chance of getting hung up

rolled the guards & shortened the mudflap part to avoid ripping off the mud guard

prepping for paint

custom width axle same wheel track as the vitara

got poke... -15 15x7's

bunnings flares

kept retro oldschool lights

painting

flip top lid bits, struts from a mazda wagon

anit-luce latches

all set up to overcentre & hold the lid down

got angle?

alloy wear plates for teh latches

rola racks & tracks from a magna wagon

Ebay roof top tent

the bungee cord running across just unclips, it helps pull in the canvas when packing up bed size is 1400mm wide x 2400mm long

my aim was to get it under 400kgs as the vitara can only legally tow 450kgs, braked or unbraked. it came in at 320kgs with a full size spare & camp chairs & tables. giving me a bit of leeway to carry extra fuel etc.
SUPERCUNT
Danger Zone

Postby SUPERCUNT » 16 Jan 2013, 17:14

nice write up.

consideded the refirb/plate swap option, just looking around to see whats available

if i go from scratch i can build it exactly the way i want (deep sides etc) if i refirb im worried it will fall to pieces as yalwal has a fair bit of corrogations on the way out and some rough rock hillclimbs, plus id love to do the cape eventually and the vic high country.

the other thing i have to consider is the kids as the mrs isnt keen on them being in a seperate tent so theres a good chance it would be those 3 on the trailer and me in a swag outside or even in the trailer in a swag if i make the sides high enough.

im trying to figure out a nice simple independant setup that will be reliable but repairable if the going gets really tough.

ive also been toying with the idea of a main chassis tube through the centre that could potentially take a hayman reese towbar style attatchment in case i need to be pulled out backwards or potentially tow someone out of the bush etc.
SUPERCUNT
Danger Zone

Postby SUPERCUNT » 16 Jan 2013, 17:15

also do you rock a standard towball setup?
Judas
LZ Nicole Stalker
Title: Abortion Survivor
Vehicle: S1 S14 / SW20

Postby Judas » 16 Jan 2013, 17:18

:lol: I didn't see that rooftop tent thing coming, was thinking 'how the fuck is that cunt gonna sleep alright in that little trailer' hahaah
I put on my robe and wizard hat.
atari4x4
Übermensch

Postby atari4x4 » 16 Jan 2013, 19:49

cheer bozz & yeah jud i've had heaps of people wonder how i'm going to fit in there. the thing is good for 300kg's so you can get jiggy jiggy with the missus. :giggity:

seeing you've got a wife & squids why not a proper tent trailer, like the camper trailers so you have a double bed on the deck of the trailer & the canvas opens out & gives you an enclosed room for the squids? i'll have a google, i'm sure there are mobs that just sell the canvas tent set up that you can use on your own trailer.

the rear recovery hook is a good idea & having a single draw bar will help manoeuvring it as you'll be able to jack knife the shit out of it.

i've heard of people using the IRS set up from a commy for a cheap & nasty way to do it.

i run this style as i wanted to be able to open the tail gate when hitched up
Legend:
Shark
OVER 9000
Title: Suicide Watch Mod
Vehicle: Ridin' dat pussy

Postby Shark » 16 Jan 2013, 20:32

Someone in aus build one of these for the street pleaseeeeee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCMtVawd_Vo
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae

Survived the HT coNSpiracy of 2012.
SUPERCUNT
Danger Zone

Postby SUPERCUNT » 16 Jan 2013, 21:20

atari4x4 wrote:the rear recovery hook is a good idea & having a single draw bar will help manoeuvring it as you'll be able to jack knife the shit out of it.

i've heard of people using the IRS set up from a commy for a cheap & nasty way to do it.

i run this style as i wanted to be able to open the tail gate when hitched up

not sure if ill get away with a single beam drawbar depending on weight but was thinking a main beam right through and fairley narrow /l\ style drawbar.

ill likely fab up my own a arms but use a common size bush out of something. (generic size rodeo/hilux leaf spring bushes or something) gotta go for something rubber as i thing any sort of rose joint setup would likely shake the trailer to bits. good chance ill use commo or similar shocks and springs though.

i was thinking alont those lines for a tow coupling but one that pivots left/right up/down all in the block area as it looks like yours pivots on the tongue. i have a good 6 inches between the towbar assembly and the bottom of the doors though.

although ive been looking at making a rear step ture holder etc so would have to keep it up highish if i go for a bulky hitch
atari4x4
Übermensch

Postby atari4x4 » 16 Jan 2013, 21:29

Shark wrote:Someone in aus build one of these for the street pleaseeeeee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCMtVawd_Vo

there are a few boosted patrols running the 4.8l TB48 straight 6 here but are mainly outback challenge/winch trucks rather than sand drags like the dune coons have over there.

JPC in victoria are responsible for some sweet patrols over the years.
SUPERCUNT
Danger Zone

Postby SUPERCUNT » 16 Jan 2013, 21:36

a mate of mine is re rebuilding his 100/105 (its live axle. i forget which it is) 4.5 petrol, had a xr6 turbo previously but is going bigger this time round, built auto, liquid gas etc. was 450hp at the tyres before, is building it for something like 1000 hp (engine) this time round.

damn thing was quicker than my sr s13 in a straight line
atari4x4
Übermensch

Postby atari4x4 » 16 Jan 2013, 21:41

yeah the cruiser DOHC straight six is another grunter... there is no substitute for cubes, even more so when boosted.

Mr Bozz, the other style of hitch you're talking about is the TREG coupling, both work well.

Check out myswag for all things camping, good forum just full of old cunts http://www.myswag.org/
Legend:
Shark
OVER 9000

Postby Shark » 16 Jan 2013, 23:00

bozzy wrote:a mate of mine is re rebuilding his 100/105 (its live axle. i forget which it is) 4.5 petrol, had a xr6 turbo previously but is going bigger this time round, built auto, liquid gas etc. was 450hp at the tyres before, is building it for something like 1000 hp (engine) this time round.

damn thing was quicker than my sr s13 in a straight line

What a beast. These sorts of things I could get into.
atari4x4
Übermensch

Postby atari4x4 » 19 Jan 2013, 17:06

1UZ-FE in a suzuki sierra that orignally had a carby 1.0l :armsup:
Legend:
SUPERCUNT
Danger Zone

Postby SUPERCUNT » 19 Jan 2013, 22:07

atari4x4 wrote:1UZ-FE in a suzuki sierra that orignally had a carby 1.0l :armsup:

thats awesome!!!
atari4x4
Übermensch

Postby atari4x4 » 19 Jan 2013, 23:54

yeah it would go alright. 8-)

imagine the racket this would have made...

So the jackshaft decided to let loose last night and went to town on my gearbox. I'm missing a few inches off the rear of the gearbox, the shifter housing has torn from the top of the gearbox, the trans tunnel is been massaged and my jackshaft is f###ked!
Legend:
SUPERCUNT
Danger Zone

Postby SUPERCUNT » 20 Jan 2013, 08:52

noise indeed
Judas
LZ Nicole Stalker
Title: Abortion Survivor
Vehicle: S1 S14 / SW20

Postby Judas » 20 Jan 2013, 17:57

lol 1uz in a sierra, is that for offroading or just shenanigans?
I put on my robe and wizard hat.
atari4x4
Übermensch

Postby atari4x4 » 20 Jan 2013, 19:04

its LHD so its in the USA or some other mongoloid country & going by the barwork & winch i'd say it gets used off road.
Legend:
atari4x4
Übermensch

Postby atari4x4 » 20 Jan 2013, 21:32

following on from the carnage above :lol:

he gearboxed himself :armsup:
Legend:
SUPERCUNT
Danger Zone

Postby SUPERCUNT » 20 Jan 2013, 22:53

ahh. makes sence now that pics up. obviously travelling along, uni/yoke has let go and the shaft has flung around due to being moved by the wheels and has smashed the shifter housing off and presumabley the tunnel and anything else in its way
atari4x4
Übermensch

Postby atari4x4 » 23 Jan 2013, 00:23

more suzuki carnage brought to you by a lack of maintenance...

But on the way home the rear end locked up on me on the highway when I was doing 80kmph :/. So it hopped along for say 50m before sliding out sideays and going drivers side A pillar into the road > roof > passenger rear corner, and did a 180o to end up facing the wrong way in the gutter on my side of the road :/. I'm fine, just a grazed elbow where it hit the road as I had the window down and a few bruises from hitting the steering wheel etc.

We tipped it onto its wheels for the pics.

And then I drove it down the road a bit to a flat spot. The gear linkage won't move out of 2 as the body is all twisted, the 2 mounts near the foot wells are squashed on the chassis. So what ever caused it to lockup is not locked up any more.

More dif oil poured out of the leaking axle seal while it was on it side but their wasn't a huge amount, and it smells burnt and is black, so I'm guessing a dif centre bearing seized and has now unseized.. as I can drive it and no bits of metal came out when we drained it later on. I will pull it apart one night this week to find out what went on.

So this probably imploded early in the day causing the axle to just sit in the tube. The wheel was held on by the rotor being held by the caliper.

Mmmmm mud.

The pinion bearing was well rooted, I reckon this seized, or a bit of pinion tooth fell in it causing it to lock up. It turns freely now.

I need to pull the airlocker apart and figure out if anything is damaged, I assume you can buy some sort of kit that replaces all the consumable bits in it?, I've never seen the inside of one.

Not what you want to see.

What you want to see.

It looks like it bucked the pinion angle pretty dramatically as it was bouncing along the road at the rear uni looks like its touched all over and both dif mounts are now bent like a banana O_O. Kinda hard to see in the pics though. I didn't take a pic but you could also see a gap between the springs and the dif perch on both sides on both sides :).

And pinion bearing and pinion missing teeth :/.
Shark
OVER 9000

Postby Shark » 23 Jan 2013, 01:50

errrrr .. no shit.
Can't say I've ever seen that happen before. He did a great job of it though. Went all out.
SUPERCUNT
Danger Zone

Postby SUPERCUNT » 23 Jan 2013, 17:49

if your gonna fuck it you may as well fuck it well
atari4x4
Übermensch

Postby atari4x4 » 23 Jan 2013, 21:31

sure would have been an interesting ride, the old sierra's aren't the most stable things standard.

they love the mud down in tassie & thats a good example of the damage that it does.

personally i don't enjoy mud plugging much, doesn't really take much skill to pin it to get through. i would rather think in 3d & drag my junk over rocks n stuff.
Legend:

Return to “Motorsport + 4x4”